6.24.2006

Tapes 'N Tapes Contest and Show Review


Hey there! You look sad! Would a signed copy (by all 4 members) of Tapes 'N Tapes single "Insistor" (with "Crazy Eights" on it as well) on limited edition 7" vinyl do the trick? It would!? Wonderful! The Brothers Tapes were kind enough to sign this copy for me, and I have nothing to play vinyl on! Anyway, here's how this contest works. You come up with the most original idea for a cover song you would like to hear Tapes 'N Tapes do at a show and I'll pick the one I like the most to win this awesome record! Pull out all the stops on this one people. I don't want to see stuff like "Freebird" or "Bird on a Wire" or something that gets covered all the time like that. Post your idea in the comments section of this post. I'll pick a winner next Friday night/Saturday morning so have yours in by then. Only one entry per person, so give it some thought. oh, and if you suggest Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" I'll tell you that you've won and get your address and send you a bomb instead of the record, okay? Okay.

EDIT: Please include your contact info. If you've already posted without your contact just shoot me an email (jszczepaniak@gmail.com) with your contact info in it. Thanks!

So the show tonight was amazing. It was the final night of the Cold War Kids/Figurines/Tapes 'N Tapes Summer Tour, and you can be sure that the bands made it worthwhile. Cold War Kids opened up with an amazing set. They move around so much on stage and bump into each other on purpose, so it was a lot of fun to watch. I was surprised at how good their backup vocals (from the guitarist) were. The band was totally on top of their game, and played my favorite two songs during the set: "Hang Me Up To Dry" and "Hospital Beds". They were really stand-up guys when I met them after the show, too. Josh from Tapes 'N Tapes joined them on a song to play the tamborine and cause good-natured trouble on stage. An incredibly electric performance!

Figurines were the "tightest" band (in an instrumental sense) all night, but their singer was a bit tired looking, and was a bit flat most of the time despite having some really smooth pipes. They got a pretty poor response from the audience, which was not deserved, but, oh well.

Tapes 'N Tapes were everything they said they would be. They pulled out all the stops and went nuts on stage. The do an amazing job of translating their songs for the stage. They played a good many songs including "Manitoba", "Omaha" (my favorite), "In Houston", "Insistor", "Cowbell", "Crazy Eights" and others. I can't remember if they ran through the entire CD or not, but they must've gotten close. They finished off by having nearly every member of the other two bands come up for their last song. There were 4 percussionists, 4 guitarists, 1 bassist, and Matt on keys and tamborine. It was amazing! Tapes came out for an encore as well, and played 2 songs which makes me think they must've played the whole CD. Again, though, I can't remember.

All in all, it was a great show. Was it the most amazing experience of my life? No. Was it the best experience of my summer so far? Definitely. Make sure you head over to their official site and see if they're coming anywhere near you on their coming tour with The Futureheads.

Downloads:
Tapes 'N Tapes - Frankfurt (Awesome Remix).mp3
Tapes 'N Tapes - 50s Parking.mp3
Tapes 'N Tapes - Crazy Eights.mp3

Cold War Kids - Hang Me Out to Dry.mp3

Links:
Tapes 'N Tapes' Official Website
Cold War Kids' Official Website
Figurines' Official Website

+joe

Posted by SL @ 1:49 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Michael, UK, says...
Is there any chance you can post "My name is not Heratio" and "Moldy Bread"? I can't find these anywhere. Cheers

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 7:12 AM #
 

what if Tapes & Tapes did a Replacements cover...Minneapolis & all...

Posted by Blogger Culture Bully @ 8:56 AM #
 

Sorry Michael from the UK, I don't have either of those songs. They're not on The Loon, so I assume they must be on the bands first EP or they're b-sides? If I find them I will post them, though.

Posted by Blogger SL @ 5:19 PM #
 

Since Tapes 'n' Tapes have been called this generation's Pixies, and the Pixies were considered their generation's Talking Heads, I propose they do a Talking Heads cover. Or, maybe "Marquee Moon" by Television.

Posted by Anonymous Mike Roeder @ 6:23 PM #
 

Beck--"Sexx Laws"

But I think everyone should cover that.

Posted by Blogger Ben Rosen @ 12:48 PM #
 

I'd like to hear a "Love/Building on Fire" Talking Heads cover, personally.

Dillon Styke
dillonvs@msn.com

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 6:28 PM #
 

I wanna hear them cover Pavement's Trigger Cut/Wounded- Kite At :17. That would rule. thedondiego1@hotmail.com

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 5:50 PM #
 

i am kind of egh about someone already saying Pixies cover, but without a doubt a Pixies cover would be an amazing thing to hear from these guys. Last time I caught them, at the Newport Folk Festival, my appreciation for the song "Debaser" totally changed... and the song has a lot of room for adding personal elements; so I think Tapes N Tapes would be the perfect folks to really take a new spin on this track.

Posted by Blogger Imaginary_war. @ 1:00 PM #
 

I'd have to say, Upon the My O My by Captain Beefheart or Do the Strand by Roxy Music.

Either of those songs would be missed on most of the fans, so they'd think that it was a new original or something. And they're both captivating songs and could use a rehash by a great band.

jeremysparks@gmail.com

Posted by Anonymous Jeremy Sparks @ 11:53 AM #
 

i'd love to hear them do animal collective's "grass".

greenplasticguns@gmail.com

Posted by Anonymous golightly @ 12:41 AM #
 
<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link